Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I Know It's Early, But...

We have regular Craft Clubs after school here at Tilly Towers, usually on a Friday, sometimes homework is completed, some times we just mess about with whatever is in the craft cupboard.  Mini Mint will usually invite a couple of friends over from school.  It almost always ends in the garden climbing over the play equipment.

Each year we also have a craft day on Christmas Eve - friends will leave their children with us - either for a couple of hours or the whole day, while they make last minute preparations.  We always do some baking, and the children will make some presents for their mums, and tree ornaments.

I've been wondering what we could do this year for presents, and came up with an idea at about 03:00 a couple of nights ago when I couldn't sleep.  Mini Mint and I have tried a 'dry run' of it this afternoon, and while it's not perfect, it definitely has potential.

I drew a picture onto some shrink plastic, Mini Mint coloured it in with his favourite pencils and then we cut it out and we shrank it in the oven as per instructions (making sure that we had punched a hole in the top for later).  When it had shrank the full amount we took it out of the oven and left it to cool, before sprinkling some embossing powder on.  This is the first time I've used embossing powder, and I don't have a heat tool, so I had to improvise with the oven and guess what temp to use.  I went for 200*C for four minutes, and it seems to have worked OK.  We'll tweak a bit, and play around some more... but I think these will make cute necklaces for the children to give to their mum's at Christmas. (Again, excuse the lousy phone picture).

What do you think, and - ribbon necklace... yes or no?





2 comments:

Ileana said...

It would make an awesome ornament. So cute.

Tilly said...

It would! Hadn't thought of that. Thanks Lilymine. :-)